I am currently reading “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill, a book I now wish I had read much earlier on in my life and a book I think EVERYONE should read, regardless of whether they are in any business, thinking about setting up a business or just wanting to get by in life without ending up in a big pile of financial shit.
I am reading it one chapter per day – there is so much to absorb and learn that doing any more than that would just blow my little grey cells I think.
Today’s chapter is on Desire (and no, this blog is NOT going to get kinky here!) This is about desiring money.
“Wishing will NOT bring money. But DESIRING riches with a state of mind that becomes an obsession, then planning definite ways and means to acquire riches and backing those plans with persistence THAT DOES NOT RECOGNIZE FAILURE will bring riches.”
In this chapter we are told to follow 6 steps which I will outline below for you.
1. Fix in your mind the EXACT amount of money you desire. Be definite as to the amount. Just saying “I want to be rich” or “I want lots of money” isn’t going to cut it. That’s a bit like saying I want food…..how much food? What type? When exactly do you want it? Be specific.
2. Determine exactly what you intend to give in return for the money you desire. Nothing in life is free so what are you going to give back? Your time? Your focus and attention? Helping other people achieve the same? It doesn’t necessarily mean you have to pay out in $$$ although you might decide to pay for mentoring, coaching or educational stuff to help move you forwards in life your job or business.
3. Establish a definite date when you intend to have the money you desire. Yes, this is pretty much goal setting but believe me IT WORKS and it keeps your mind, attention and actions focused and on track.
4. Create a definite PLAN for carrying out your desire and BEGIN AT ONCE whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action. DON’T PROCRASTINATE. It’s about pace NOT perfection. If you never start you don’t stand a cat in hell’s chance of getting what you want.
5. Write out your statement of intent…
“I will have $X by such and such a date. I will give………in return for receiving this money and I will achieve this by doing the following steps………… I WILL START TODAY!!!”
6. Read your statement out loud 2xper day – don’t just write it out and then never look at it again. As you read really SEE, FEEL, BELIEVE YOURSELF ALREADY IN POSSESSION OF THE MONEY. What you feel is far more powerful than simply saying words. What comes from the heart is magnified in it’s realization far more than what comes from simply repeating words like a parrot.
Only those who become MONEY CONSCIOUS ever accumulate great riches. “Money consciousness” means that the mind has become so thoroughly saturated in the DESIRE for money that you can see yourself already in possession of it.
If you do not see great riches in your imagination you will NEVER see them in your bank balance and the one quality you MUST have in order to win is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what you want and a BURNING DESIRE to possess it.
I am reminded of the story I heard about Whoopi Goldberg, that amazing actor, in the days long before she became famous. Born into poverty and with (to all intents and purposes) no chance whatsoever of achieving her dream of becoming an actor, she would look at her reflection in the mirror every single morning and tell herself that she WAS going to be a rich and famous actor.
Day after day she held onto that absolute desire and belief that she WOULD achieve her dreams, no matter what the odds against it happening, no matter what people told her to the contrary.
Now she is a household name and a much loved, respected and sought after actor.
A strong desire, an absolute belief that IT IS POSSIBLE and having persistence that does not recognize failure is all it takes to bring you the riches or anything else in life that you want.
So how strong is your desire and what will YOU do today to finally have everything you want?
Until next time, I remain your friend in life and business.